High altitude, low oxygen environment training has been used for many years by athletes across many sports to improve performance.
Training in these environments can give you a great workout with much less stress on your body, or enhance the effectiveness of any workout you do and make your exercise more time efficient. Clients with limited exercise tolerance (e.g. can only walk) get more value from altitude training. The lower oxygen concentration in an altitude environment causes the body to be more efficient at using fuel and oxygen, and triggers a variety of physiological responses and changes in your body at a number of levels that improve metabolic efficiency.
Hypoxic training enhances and accelerates the positive outcomes of exercise on:
- Fat loss, reduced appetite
- Diabetes and blood sugar management
- Osteoporosis and bone density
- Energy levels
- Anaerobic fitness and lactic acid tolerance
- Anaemia, due to increased EPO, red blood cells and haemoglobin
- Testosterone and growth hormone
- Hypertrophy (lean body mass) and strength training outcomes
- Cardiac surgery rehabilitation
- Insomnia, serotonin and endorphins
Other potential benefits include:
- Improved dexterity, co-ordination and cognitive decision making under stress and when fatigued.
- Excites neural plasticity and facilitates positive re-wiring of the brain and central nervous system.
- Enhanced collagen production, with improvements in wound healing, beauty treatment outcomes and skin elasticity.
Altitude training technology is currently used extensively by:
- The Australian Institute of Sport and many other world class institutes of sports.
- Professional sports teams and individuals seeking to improve co-ordination and performance under stress.
- Leading edge executives to enhance their performance, decision making, negotiating and cognitive abilities in stressful and demanding situations.
- Hospitals and beauty clinics to optimise the outcome for their patients and clients.